View Single Post

Old 08-05-2017, 12:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
We made a similar mistake in 2011, but with Kanes in Ocala, which is located between Blockers and Rooms to Go. We bought 2 matching recliners and sofa with reclining end seats in dark brown leather, or what we thought was leather. A year later I gave the sofa to a neighbor because I wanted two armrests and went back to Kanes and bought a console loveseat that was powered.

By 2014 all three pieces began peeling. I began reading online and found out what we had was bonded leather. I soon received a letter from Kanes in the mail that had good news. Kanes was sued by a group in Tampa and I was part of the class action suit. The bad news, if I don't do anything and go along with the settlement I'll receive $70 in store credit, that's it.

By this past April we were so tired of looking at that furniture we went to Babettes and Havertys looking for only real leather furniture. A console loveseat with power was going to cost about $1700 and a recliner almost a $1,000. These were a little more than we could afford, but we just so happen to get a flyer in the newspaper for Badcock Furniture. They advertised vinyl console loveseat for $698 and matching recliner for $398, but not powered. They had power but for $200 more for each piece. We went over to their Wildwood store and took a look, tried the manual reclining and felt the poly material and we liked what we saw. They had cream or dark brown, so went with the cream and bought two recliners and a loveseat all total for $1500. The fact that it wasn't real leather didn't really matter as much as it looked clean, had nice lines and was comfortable to sit in, and we hadn't invested a whole lot of money.

Hamilton Cream Gliding Console Loveseat | Badcock &more

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida
We also bought bonded leather furniture from Kanes a few years ago and it all peeled within 2 years. We threw it away. Then I found out about the class action suit and joined it. They asked for my documentation on dates and all and price but haven't heard from them. I received two letters the second saying the amount I would receive which would be the purchase price in store credit. I am still waiting. I will be placing a call to them on Monday as I read the suit had been settled. I think there was more than one suit against them.