Thread: Dunkirk (2017)
View Single Post

Old 08-07-2017, 05:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Some of you noticed a few mistakes, here's some you maybe didn't notice.
  • The me-109 have painted yellow fronts, this wasn't done by the Germans until after Dunkirk. Christopher Nolan has admitted doing this deliberately so the audience could tell the difference between the spitfire and the me-109 during the combat scenes.

• In the scene towards the start of the film in Weymouth harbour, you can see the huge building which is Weymouth Pavilion, which was built in 1954, after the original 1909 building burnt down.

• When the boat returns to England they state the cliffs are Dorset. There were 3 evacuation routes from Dunkirk - all to Kent. It would be nonsense to sail from Dunkirk to Dorset as you have to almost pass Dover on the way! (never mind the fact the boat would probably not have made it without refueling).

• When the returned soldiers are on the train at the end of the film, it's an open plan post-war British Rail Mark I type, which where built from around 1950. Also the blue upholstery on the seats looks to be the corporate blue introduced by British Rail in the 1960s, used by the preserved railway owning the stock, and not what would have featured in Southern Railway carriages of the time. The carriages also have horizontally-sliding windows, which are far more contemporary than wartime trains, which had windows with a much larger vertical opening, held in place by a leather strap.

• There are a number of scenes of the buildings along the coast where TV antennas are visible.

• No soldiers in this film were smoking cigarettes - unbelievable for 1940.

• In several scenes, but notably very near the end, the background shows numerous container handling cranes, which weren't invented until the mid sixties.

• Christopher Nolan admits he used a French destroyer instead of a British destroyer, for practical purposes (most people won't notice).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail33or
(A big ship can not just refloat with the tide.)(Bullets can not penetrate a ships hull.)
The beached trawler it doesn't look that big to me and before the bullet holes were made, why wouldn't the ship refloat with high tide?

The Villages Florida

The primary German weapon was the Karabiner 98k Mauser which fired five 7.92×57mm Mauser cartridges (designated as the 8mm Mauser).

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

Here's a video of someone shooting this rifle using 8mm ammo and penetrating steel plates.

Armor test: 8mm vs Level III AR500 - YouTube