Old 08-16-2017, 01:44 PM
n/a

Post Southern Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Sons of Confederate Veterans

Not a racist organization

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although I would agree that the Sons of Confederate Veterans is not dedicated to racism, and is really about Southern Pride and recognition of heroism in a military conflict of days long past, there is, nonetheless, a problem with the organization.

The opening statement on the home page of the SCV web site says, “To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we will commit the vindication of the cause for which we fought.

To your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldier’s good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles which he loved and which you love also, and those ideals which made him glorious and which you also cherish.”

Lt. General Stephen Dill Lee, Commander General,
United Confederate Veterans,
New Orleans, Louisiana, April 25, 1906.

----------------------

This would be a cause of concern for many. They could read it to say the SCV members are called upon to vindicate the fight that would have resulted in continued slavery if the Confederacy had won.

The same could be said for the sentence containing, "the perpetuation of those principles which he loved and which you love also."

In less contentious times I might have read over these statements and not given them a second thought. As I now consider these things in view of how they might be viewed by my friends and associates who are of minority races, I have become more sensitive.

Being in possession of an extensive family history, and having relatives who fought on both sides in the Civil War, I could qualify to be a member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, and Sons of Union Civil War Veterans. I chose to join neither.

I am a member of the Sons of the American Revolution.

Carl in Tampa