View Single Post

Old 08-01-2008, 03:27 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Other nearby communities vs. The Villages

For us, TV is a resort community - a land lubber's cruise ship. Other developments, as nice as they may be, are subdivisions with amenties.

Examples:

Our interests are card games, model trains, tennis, and band. I went to an excellent FREE tennis clinic yesterday - it is given every week. I will be joining one of two 100+ piece bands - and maybe form a woodwind quartet. My wife will be participating in several of umpteen versions of Canasta. I have joined a model train club the has over 60 members catering to N, HO, O, and G-scale model trains.

To us, the scale of the community was important. You can't have these kinds of choices with just several hundred homes. Compared to most other retirement communities, The Villages is like living in an amenity rich larger city compared to living in a quiet country town. Yet the country is just a couple miles outside our gates.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley