Thread: ROCK MUSIC
View Single Post

Old 08-01-2008, 03:49 AM
Default Re: ROCK MUSIC

I guess I'm going to be the stone in everyone's shoe here. I am also in the 60s age group but really never did care for R/R all that much. My Mom told me I was born 10 years to late. I digress.I am a musician and also have preferences. BTW, if your sick of the same music they play on the 640 station, may I suggest an alternative. The city of Hernando broadcasts their WRZN at 720AM. It's an eclectic mix of 40s-70s music. And you can usually pick it up until late in the evening. (lots of big band and swing)
Anyway, while I understand and accept R/R as a part of my growing up right-of-passage,
I found Glenn Miller, Harry James, Count Basie, Artie Shaw et al much more to my liking. It also has a "beat" that you can dance to. The big difference being I feel, is the musicianship involved. R/R people play for 3-5 years and think they're pretty good. That music does not compare the the music of the 30s-40s. Most of those musicians had been playing for 10-20 years before they got good enough to play with a truly professional group. Such as Basie, Ellington, etc.
I play trumpet and am in the Villages Concert Band, Swing Band and Big Band. And you will usually only see me at the square when jazz or swing music is involved (which isn't very often).
I do like R/R but prefer 30s-40s much more.

Jerry Jackson (Calumet Grove)

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!