Thread: 55+ community?
View Single Post

Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
It would be interesting to know how many homes are owned in and lived in by people actually 55 and over who house their deadbeat adult children so that the public would come to realize the number.

If one compared the percentage of criminal incidents per person of the under 55's residing in TV to that of the 55 and older the results would not be surprising, at least to me.
I can only state what I know. On my street of 13 CYV's, all are occupied by persons over 55 with no adult children living with them. Ten are full time residents and 3 are snowbirds, and none are rented out.

From what I've seen for the six years I've lived in TV, in a community of 115,000 the actual number of adult children living with their parents is not that large, I would guess less than a 1,000. There are many you never hear about because they are responsible adults who are actually caregivers for their elderly parents. You might have 500 bad apples which is less than 0.4% of the population.

The online newspaper wouldn't be read or be a successful business if they didn't have readers. It's just like the tabloid papers at the checkout stand. If they didn't have a picture of Alec Baldwin or George Clooney on the cover doing something, nobody would bother. I see the whole picture and it's a small percentage. A good many of the crime reports are people living in Wildwood or Fruitland Park and it seems the addresses get blurred together. Inside TV, you might see one adult child a day or every other day get arrested. It's not anything to worry about, you have enough 55+ adults at the squares putting away a few alcoholic beverages.