View Single Post

Old 08-20-2017, 08:12 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
I believe America to be the greatest country ever to exist.

I never believed America to be perfect for sure, but I believe in America.

I believe in our ability to overcome whatever confronts us by talking and listening.

I believe America is made stronger by every new person who comes here with a dream.

I do not dilute myself to think America is perfect, but I believe America is made up of people who believe in freedom, understand how that freedom can at times seem an impediment, but also know we raise ourselves to greater things when we understand how blessed we are and the hard work of understanding that is needed to maintain that.

America is, despite those who want it to be about labels, is still the great melting pot of history.
I agree with you that America is the greatest country to ever exist. My concern is, can we keep it that way? So much has changed, especially where ambitions are concerned. Past generations believed in hard work and making your own way. I am so thankful that I was raised in a family where that was not only taught but modeled. No one in my family would have even considered a handout, no matter how down on their luck they may have been.

Today that mentality has greatly changed overall. Many feel entitled to be taken care of and others just lack the motivation to work that hard. I see it all around me in dealing with the general public in my workplace. I know the times have been harder over the past years, getting a job and making ends meet compared to when I graduated from college, but if we continue the trend of more and more people on the government payroll, our country will not continue on the path of greatness.

A great and inspiring leader is a start as the OP suggests, but much of this comes from teaching and role modeling IMO.