Thread: 55+ community?
View Single Post

Old 08-20-2017, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbbbb View Post
...I have our cart set to max speed of 19 mph. Carts on the paths speed by us at far in excess of 20, that is so obvious? Ever see anyone get a ticket? Take a very cautious view of the speeders on so many roads. Lots of revenue there so what is wrong?...
I can only handle one of your complaints at a time. This cart speeding business has already been discussed ad nauseam on this forum in threads directly related to golf carts. As a refresher here goes, when carts are operating on the MMP's (multimodal paths) they are on private property (Villages Land) and the police have already stated they will not ticket carts for speeding but will ticket for open container of alcohol. The cart lane on the side of public streets, example St. Charles Blvd, is handled differently and does fall into the jurisdiction of the police and the state speeding laws pertaining to golf carts.

I would guess that manpower probably dictates that ticketing speeding seniors operating a golf cart in excess of 20 mph in a retirement community is probably a lower priority than the meth lab in Wildwood or the shoplifter at Walmart or the Fruitland Park driver who's pickup truck is parked at a new home in Pine Hills removing some new stainless steel appliances would probably get higher attention. If you're unhappy with the lack of ticketing on public streets then I suggest you take your complaints to the Sumter County Sheriff's Office in Bushnell and look for this guy.

The Villages Florida