View Single Post

Old 08-25-2017, 02:39 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
From my reading and experience.
Re: Pine straw-which is what we have
It is a natural and renewable substance thus it is favored by such groups as the COOPERATIVE EXTENSION.
The cooperative extension will discourage the use of such products as Cyprus which is rot resistant and probably less costly then pine straw. It is being or has been over harvested and so is discouraged by the COOPERATIVE EXTENSION.
Pine Straw-pine needles that naturally fall from the trees,
will decompose, rot, and become sorely needed in Florida, organic matter. All you need to do is add more on thin spots. We have 5000 sq ft of lawn with beds all around our home. I add roughly 3-4 bails of pine straw each year and they cost about $3.00 a bail.
RE: Landscape fabric
REMINDER-we do not have it so I declare my prejudice.
It does block a percentage of the water from rain or sprinklers. To plant anything, a bush, annuals etc, you need to cut a hole in the fabric. You cannot or should not go right up to the stem of any plant. It does not last forever. As stated by others, the weeds refuse to cooperate. They are resourceful and stubborn. There are seeds already in your."soil." the birds, wind, and your and your neighbors lawn,"care" people drop in more. Oh and your grass St Augustine, Zoyzia both send out runners which can travel great distances.

You will have more weeds without landscape fabric but they are far easier to pull out. With landscape fabric you need to pull weeds by hand-you cannot use tools. If, you do they will obviously tear and pull up the fabric.

PRODUCTS SUCH AS PREEN-it kills ALL seeds as they start to germinate. I don't know but based on my experience it is never 100% efficient. So, you still end up pulling weeds.
If, I recall, Preen is supposed to work for two months. Perhaps, they claim three. Nature is a miracle. Different weeds or plants, grow from seeds at different times. Thus,
assuming 100% effective, which it is not, you will still need to pull the weeds that started growing before you applied the Preen or the ones that will grow after the Preen looses it's effectiveness. Oh, and such products do not control plants that grow from stylons-runners from your grass for example.

IN ANSWER TO THE POSTED QUESTION-I would either resort to hand weeding the rocks or I would REMOVE both the rocks and the landscape fabric and apply the Pine Straw or Cypress mulch. As I said previously, I would lean toward the pine straw.

My view EASY is good. If, you choose to fight with nature-YOU ARE WAY OUTCLASSED.
You are correct that cypresses have been over harvested, unfortunately. It is more expensive than pine straw but it does break down -- not as quickly as pine bark, as a comparison, however.

Melaleuca is an excellent mulch, but for whatever the reason, I cannot find in this area.