View Single Post

Old 08-27-2017, 05:47 PM
n/a

Post Different experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Rockyrd

Actually, it was the early 70s. I know that well. There may have been civil unrest, but the "selling out" began in the 70s. I was a democrat, and an active one when I left the Navy. I recall making a decision in early 70s....sorry the EXACT year escapes me, but standing in a hotel room in Harrisburg Pa. I spoke for hours to the state Democratic head and told him because I thought they sold out, I had to leave and I did.

I differ with you guys who blame young people, or activists. They have been around well before the 50s, but we had no mass coverage of anything.....everyone was stupid...now, everyone thinks they are experts and trust me,,.they are more "run" by their political party than ever before, whichever party it is.

Young people by nature are liberal thinkers..always have been. I was exposed to pretty much all conservatives until JFK.

Again, I am what I think is a true conservative. I simply believe this President is not only destroying our presidency, but the Republican Party. He is closer to democratic philosophy than Republican except on immigration and race. But that appears to be what folks on here are interested in. I prefer legislation and moving the country forward

He is the anthesis of what this country needs, and is simply magnifying the bad, and ignoring what it takes to govern. Rallies full of lies do not a President make. He is making a mockery of all our systems and I predict those who suffer will be the Republican Party. As he has said....."he will still be rich" (and of course, contrary to his promise, he has not divested and is making millions off us)
Our difference in perspective is probably explained by our differing life experiences. I graduated from a very conservative school in 1958, and we were seeing an infiltration of Liberal professors even then. Mainly in the area of History and The Arts (Stage acting, Oil Painting, Classical Music appreciation.)

And, as I've already observed, President Johnson gave the Party an entirely new emphasis on Social Programs after the death of President Kennedy in 1963.

And, I attended and provided security for the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968. I was in the lobby of the Conrad Hilton Hotel the night that the Party nominated Hubert Humphrey for the presidency. I watched the mob that overwhelmed hotel security and chanted "You killed the party" at every convention delegate who entered the hotel that evening.

As the thin line of Chicago Police ringed the Hilton to repulse rioters, a rain of urine, feces, and even heavy glass ashtrays rained down on them from the windows of the hotel. We discovered the source of the thrown objects was staff members of an unsuccessful Liberal candidate for the presidency. There are allegations that the assaults stopped when the candidate's Secret Service detail leader lifted the candidate's Chief of Staff off of the floor and slammed him against a wall. I cannot confirm this event.

I must disagree with your claim that youthful activists "have been around well before the 50s." I can recall no such activism in the war years, or the immediate post-war period, which was a period of prosperity. In 1952, I busily handed out "I Like Ike" pamphlets, much to the chagrin of my Democrat father, and there was never an encounter or confrontation with any Democrats.

With regard to the damage that you believe President Trump is inflicting on the Republican Party, there are those who believe that a shake up of the old line party incumbents is well overdue. The Republican legislators in Washington seem to be in bed with their Democrat counterparts, so little or none of the Republican agenda is accomplished.

You mention immigration. As one who has traveled to over 30 foreign countries, I am a great supporter of tightly sealed borders and vigorous opposition to illegal immigration. I appreciate moves to reverse Obama's failure to enforce our immigration laws, which allowed illegal aliens to flood into our country.

Carl in Tampa