View Single Post

Old 08-27-2017, 06:27 PM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest
Our difference in perspective is probably explained by our differing life experiences. I graduated from a very conservative school in 1958, and we were seeing an infiltration of Liberal professors even then. Mainly in the area of History and The Arts (Stage acting, Oil Painting, Classical Music appreciation.)

And, as I've already observed, President Johnson gave the Party an entirely new emphasis on Social Programs after the death of President Kennedy in 1963.

And, I attended and provided security for the Democratic National Convention in Chicago in 1968. I was in the lobby of the Conrad Hilton Hotel the night that the Party nominated Hubert Humphrey for the presidency. I watched the mob that overwhelmed hotel security and chanted "You killed the party" at every convention delegate who entered the hotel that evening.

As the thin line of Chicago Police ringed the Hilton to repulse rioters, a rain of urine, feces, and even heavy glass ashtrays rained down on them from the windows of the hotel. We discovered the source of the thrown objects was staff members of an unsuccessful Liberal candidate for the presidency. There are allegations that the assaults stopped when the candidate's Secret Service detail leader lifted the candidate's Chief of Staff off of the floor and slammed him against a wall. I cannot confirm this event.

I must disagree with your claim that youthful activists "have been around well before the 50s." I can recall no such activism in the war years, or the immediate post-war period, which was a period of prosperity. In 1952, I busily handed out "I Like Ike" pamphlets, much to the chagrin of my Democrat father, and there was never an encounter or confrontation with any Democrats.

With regard to the damage that you believe President Trump is inflicting on the Republican Party, there are those who believe that a shake up of the old line party incumbents is well overdue. The Republican legislators in Washington seem to be in bed with their Democrat counterparts, so little or none of the Republican agenda is accomplished.

You mention immigration. As one who has traveled to over 30 foreign countries, I am a great supporter of tightly sealed borders and vigorous opposition to illegal immigration. I appreciate moves to reverse Obama's failure to enforce our immigration laws, which allowed illegal aliens to flood into our country.

Carl in Tampa

First allow me to correct a typing mistake. I said activists have been around since well before the 50s, and I was directly referring to your comment in the 60s and thus meany before the 60s, and if you recall, the 50s included much civil strife on race. In fact a lot of strife.

My reference was to when, in my opinion, the Democrats began to use this strife, despite your comment on LBJ.

Mine was personal and we will just agree to disagree. I was employed by the Demicratic party, and it was in the 70's when I....ME...not you....found the party was "using" this issue, not to solve any problems. Of course I am aware of the 60s movement...never said I was not. I am speaking of when I felt it began in early 70s a Democratic misuse of the race issue.

In 1968, I recall it well. Maybe we passed each other at the hotel during that embarrassing convention.

We certainly and for sure disagree on Washington today...100 % disagree. Not going to even give it words, because as I read posting on here, I appear to be considered the dumb guy, a conservative who thinks Trump is an enemy of progress and any kind of meaningful legislation. You folks think him disrupting and accusing and mean spirited attitude as positive. I think we need to talk to each other, and not alienate. Since 2001, this has been festering and it needs to become...what is good for the country, not what is good for individuals.

No sense in discussing it in here.. Always becomes a discussion of race, religion and how this side or the other is responsible for all the ills of the world, mostly liberals are the bad guys simply because you folks are into the labels and such. ALL liberals are not bad people, and ALL Republicans are not good.

To finalize....I am a conservative, and have been for about 44 years or so. An ACTIVE Republican. I did change to Independent as a result of Trump candidacy.

I also, despite what people keep slamming believe in tighter immigration. I do not think Trump, other than on race and immigration, is not even close to a conservative, and surely not a Republican.

I deplore beyond words the labeling of people for any reasons. That includes blaming all ills of the world on liberals, conservatives, blacks, whites or Muslims or any other group. THAT is a sure way to insure no legislation, which is the only way to move forward. You mentioned "shaking up" and to me, a moral President who engages both sides openly without labeling would be my shake up. Increasing or supporting hate driven language and accusations is not the way to change, move forward, or "shake up" anything.

My opinion...I know you guys feel differently.

PS...I apologize for my typing. I find it difficult to type on this damn IPad and then compounded by trying to pay attention to the press conference. I just seem to give those obscene uninformed folks more reason to call me names, but if you don't support Trump, I suppose we should stay off, and let me careful, a forum that "appears" to be populated by mostly white nationalists. As you can tell, I am older, and finding it difficult to absorb how making America great again includes lying, false accusations, unwarranted and unsubstantiated attacks on American institutions, degrading of so many if our institutions and doing it publicly, internationally and again, with no basis of fact. That, and so many who tolerate such behavior is just distasteful to me. But maybe the AGAIN part does not go back as far as my age.