View Single Post

Old 08-30-2017, 05:38 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I have managed my own properties since 2008 both living remote and now living here. When living in Virginia, I used Redwitch for my home watch and would highly recommend her if you're not local. She knows who to call for every issue, she treats your tenants great, and overall does an excellent job. Now that I live here I do it myself and still use her if we are traveling or need something done and out of town.

My tenants (with one exception) have all been excellent in 9 years with two properties. I maintain 9 to 11 months rented every year. My property management costs are very low. My tenants are 90% repeats. Overall a very successful business plan.

By doing everything myself it allows me to use a small amount of what would be spent for a property management company for extras. Discounts for repeat renters, multiple month renters, and folks you really want back. It allows us to provide extras for the tenants. Simple things like a bottle of wine and water in the frig when they arrive. If they need a cookie sheet, a special type pillow, a new XYZ, or anything not usual, I can do it. When I get a great tenant I can go the extra mile and make their stay an experience they want to repeat.

I send Villages news letters to prospective tenants, do last minute specials, and work at this as a small business. Takes a few hours every month but it has been rewarding. I now have two homes more than 50% paid off by someone else, homes have increased in value, have made several new friends and it has actually been fun.

My recommendation would be if this is something you plan to do, treat it as a job and do it yourself. Build that list of qualified service folks. You will need a plumber, an AC person, garage door person, golf cart service person, appliance repair, pest control, lawn and shrub, and a few others. I actually hire a retired guy one day a week to do lawns, shrubs, minor repairs, pressure washing, furnace filters, and a few other things for all three homes. (rentals plus ours) If around I do most things anyway, but you still need the list. Treat it as a part time job and you will be successful. If you can't do that, than I suggest you don't rent.