View Single Post

Old 09-04-2017, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Yep.

Get a standard 5' tripod, set it up from the rear and the side...then watch your own swing.

When I first took the game up 30 years ago, for the first couple of months I used my old huge VHS recorder to do just that.

I would then turn to the camera and give a signal as to the flight of that particular shot, so I could correlate by body positions...to what the ball was doing. I went from shooting high 90's to low 80's and have been single digit for the last 15-20 years.

These days, I barely putt a few balls on the practice green (which may/may not be similar to the ones on the course) and chip a few around the tee box before a round... and can't recall the last time I went to a range.

It's been shown that the best way to lower your scores, is to develop a a good short game and you shouldn't need anyone watching you to do that. Even the smallest yard (as long as there is grass) should afford an opportunity to get a feel for chipping from different lies.

If you're still not satisfied, break down and go get a couple of lessons with a certified teacher who will record your swing and offer suggestions.

Probably the WORST thing you could do, is to just find another golfer who isn't a certified teacher...to try and help you fix your issues.

Good luck.
I agree that many times golfers are their own best instructors, but in some cases, it's better to have someone there that tell you if you're doing what you are trying to do.

I've often just videoed students and had them look at the video and just ask, "What would you tell this person?". I find that this works more with the worst players than it does with people that have a reasonable idea of how to swing a club.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.