View Single Post

Old 09-05-2017, 10:23 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,313 Times in 546 Posts

This law regarding golf carts Is confusing to a lot of people. Just because your cart could potentially run 25 or 30 mph doesn't mean you were traveling 0ver 20 mph should you have an accident. I drive a car that potentially could go 130 mph. I have a hypothetical accident in my car and I was driving 55 mph in a 55 mph zone. My car insurance won't pay off because my car has the potential of traveling 130 mph. How "dumb" does that sound. Some have a hard time figuring out the difference in the two scenarios. The difference is simply the rule of law that says a golf cart can never go over 20 mph except it be licensed as a street legal golf cart. There is no such law for your automobile. The only way to change this scenario would be to change the law.

What would happen should you have an accident and how would an insurance company know how fast your cart was capable of traveling? That is a good question. Perhaps only by impounding your golf cart and by investigating. My golf cart is currently set for 20 mph. I think that is where I will leave it.