View Single Post

Old 09-23-2017, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
How high is the water table? Paradise Pond is close to a million square feet. If it dredged out one more foot deep it would hold a tremendous amount more. Even six more inches down would prevent having that cart pat closed in an event like we just had. I honestly don't think the water table has anything to do with it.

As far as withdrawal from golf goes, we pay for golf in our amenity fees. If the golf courses are closed when they possibly could be open, we are paying for something that we're not getting. Can we expect to see a rebate in our amenity fees next month for two weeks that we were unable to take advantage of what we pay for?

Will The Villages pick up the green fees for any rounds that I play outside while these courses are closed?

We had a CAT 1 hurricane go through here which did some minor damage. It is certainly understandable that the golf courses would be closed during the storm and perhaps a day or two afterward for cleanup. But the fact that the ponds were not able to hold the amount of water we got tells me that they are not designed properly.

Hurricanes and heavy rainfall during the summer months should be expected here and should be planned for. It seems that in the five-plus years that I've been here I've seen the ponds overflowing during some summers and bone dry in some of the winters. What I'm asking is if dredging these water retention areas out by a foot or so would solve this problem. Would we be able to retain more of the water that we get in the summer so we have enough for the golf courses in the winter? How many times have we heard that the courses are in bad shape because we don't have enough water? When we do have water, we throw it away instead of saving it for the dry periods.
If you traveled outside of the villages you would have found course were flooded, cart path or should I say mud path, with mud all over the carts. Some courses just said they did not want anyone to play the course was in too bad of shape.

As far as our amenity fees they don't just pay for golf. There are many that live here the pay amenity fees and never touch a golf course. Apparently you're one of those ones that have serious withdrawal issues about not playing golf. I for one am so happy the villages designed this place that the water went in the ponds and the courses and not in my house. That pond that was over 10 feet up behind our house saved our house. I guess there are somethings but I am grateful for if I can't play a little golf just so I don't have to shovel mud out of my house I'm good with that.