View Single Post

Old 09-28-2017, 02:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedivergirl View Post
They were Knock-out Roses. We have had two landscapers in in the last week.

Roses do not do well in Florida. In addition, as I stated, we do not have enough irrigation lines. We counted on Ron's to do it right. Roses need a great deal of water.

I am an experienced gardener, albeit in northern climes.

Had I known the plants required an acid soil, I could have fertilized them properly. The point is they should not have been planted where they were.

It is foolish to put a plant in an inhospitable environment, and try to manage it with chemicals.

I disagree about deadheading, especially when the plants are doing as poorly as these.

An afterthought ~ Ron's Landscaping has been sold, around 4 years ago. He still does the sales, but he does not do the work. Perhaps this is a factor.
Either someone is giving you bad information or you are simply uninformed.
Knock out roses do do well here and they do not require any more water than most other shrubs in your yard.
In addition, you may disagree, but no rose of any type should ever be dead headed!
You didn't say what the other eight plants were that you mentioned -- the ones you say need shade and acid soil; what are they?

I agree that all plants should be properly planted, but they all do need to be fertilized throughout the year, according to what their needs are. Otherwise -- yes -- over time they will croak!

Ron and Mike do know what they are doing. If you did not discuss placement and price with both of them about your sprinklers, then that could be a good reason why you are unhappy. They are both well versed in plants and landscaping and worked together even before Ron sold to Mike.

I have a feeling there is more to the problems you are having than what has been posted in this thread.