View Single Post

Old 09-28-2017, 11:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
I think the small very quiet generators are the HONDA inverter based units, back up north I rented one and it was so quite, you could have a normal conversation next to it while it was running, and yes they are easily twice as expensive as a similar rated traditional generator.
Next, small portable generators are NOT meant for extended run times, they do not nave oil filters, etc, and have specific requirements for maintenance. Also, back up north, I burnt out one of these, on the gasoline engine side, apparently an intact valve failed.
Generac (trade name) and similar outdoor pad mounted generators are designed for extended run times, electric start, automatic operation, etc, these are being advertised on TV for a 7 kw unit starting at just under $2000, note this does not include installation, the transfer switch, etc., figure at least twice that price.
As note previously, you need to consider fuel, gasoline does not store well for months on end, propane is probably a much better choice, but much more costly.
Finally, I agree with many of the comments, if you want to protect you food supply, be able to charge your phones, turn on a couple of lights, and maybe a TV, you can get by with a smaller unit 3kw(?), and cycle it to keep your food cold.
There's a gasoline additive that will extend the shelf life of gasoline. Sorry, I don't recall the name.

The other thing is that we usually get a week or more notice before a major hurricane is coming this way. Usually, there's no problem getting gas until one or two days before.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.