View Single Post

Old 10-06-2017, 10:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Funny, my father served for 25 years, died three months after getting a medical discharge. My brother served three tours in Nam. Political and social discussions were the norm at our dinner table. Not once did I hear that either served for Old Glory. I have heard they fought for honor, pride, country.

They both stood at attention and saluted our flag with pride. I don't salute, but I stand at attention. So does my daughter. So does my grandson. It is a wonderful symbol of our nation. But that is all it is -- a symbol. It is a symbol of the rights and freedoms our forefathers fought so hard to gain. Freedom to assemble, the right to free speech, the duty to protest, those are the what the flag represents.

Kneeling quietly with head bowed is far more respectful than standing and talking during the national anthem. I've seen more than one athlete scratching his privates during the anthem. I've seen fans standing and chomping on food and guzzling beer during the anthem. And you're calling athletes kneeling and bowing their heads disrespectful???

There are good reasons to boycott football -- both at the college and professional level. Ditto basketball. So long as these sports condone and accept thugs who rape housekeepers, beat wives and girl friends, fire weapons in a public venue, people need to speak up and say this is not acceptable behavior. The Commissioners need to suspend players that behave like thugs. Owners need to bench, suspend and fire the thugs, regardless of the talent. Fans need to speak up and boycott games and advertisers who accept such thugs. But to punish players for peaceful protest? I know that's not what my father and brother fought for. Hopefully, that's true of most active-duty and retired servicemen. I'm sorry that some of you have forgotten that.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein