View Single Post

Old 10-08-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Had our forefathers not protested, there would have been no Revolution. Had Medgar Evans, MLK, Rosa Parks, et al., not spoken out, we'd be even further behind in the civil rights arena. Had Stanton., Anthony,, et al., not marched for women's rights, we females would probably still be stuck barefoot and pregnant. I was taught that we all have a moral obligation to speak when we see a wrong being committed, whether that wrong be in a schoolyard, a pulpit or on a national stage by a government official. We can speak as an individual or as a group, but speak and protest we must. One definition of duty is legal or moral obligation.

Sorry, I totally disagree that kneeling was disrespectful. It was done quietly, with head bowed. I pointed out the other behavior because, to me, that is disrespectful. I may not agree with what someone is protesting, but, so long as it peaceful, I will defend their right to protest. That is why my father, uncle, cousins, brother fought, died and were wounded. Not to silence a protestor whose stance is not your stance or to prevent someone from protesting in a manner that doesn't suit your sensibilities. They served to protect this great nation, to allow those living here to air their grievances, to protect our rights, not just to protect and respect the symbols. And, yes, you have the right to object and protest in whatever form you choose, but I hope that somewhere in you there is some pride that you and others fought to give CK the right to kneel in protest.
You are very articulate and your posts are always thoughtful and thought provoking.

Thank you.