Thread: Roof issue
View Single Post

Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Thank you for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Just for the record, I do not know the gentleman who posted this thread....I did not do this inspection. We are usually so busy doing warranty inspections that it is often very difficult for us to fit in "new buyer" type inspections. We do our best, but the feverish pace of The Villages growth usually does not leave us time to do specific problem inspections.

Just a few random thoughts....

Usually a home inspection carefully checks the roof for obvious leaks, signs of damage or improper installation, wear, etc. As the inspection is typically not invasive, we do not remove shingles to check nailing patterns, etc. There ARE many issues we sometimes find on a roof, and when found are documented with pictures and video if needed.

It has been my experience that in Florida, roofs will rarely last more than 15-20 years. The new homeowner stated that the home was 12 years old, so I would assume this was the original roof. I have seen 12 year old roofs look pretty good, and after checking for them to be sealed down, etc. MAY last another few years. No matter what, I would tell the client that it may be wise to budget for a new roof within the next 5 years or so. A 12 year old roof will have some degree of granular loss, brittleness, etc.

Then we have a category one hurricane come over our homes....an unprecedented event. NEW homes with NEW roofs, even if correctly installed, in some cases had damage. How a 12 year old roof fared could vary.....my experience has been that many older roofs had no damage, but some of course did....even new roofs.

The term, "insurable roof" is something I have never heard. An Inspector documents the roof age and condition. In all my years experience I have not ever heard of an Inspector deeming a roof insurable or not, as different insurance companies have different standards. I know a few years ago State Farm would not insure ANY roof older than 5 years old. So...to them this roof , (at least a few years ago) would not be insurable. To many other Insurance companies it probably would have. An inspector would have no say or even any knowledge if a specific insurance company would insure a home.....that is up to the insurance company of course, not an inspector.

There is a lot we do not know from this post. Was there installation problems? Was the work sub standard? If so, what were the defects, and were they observable?

Inspectors have an ethical obligation to the potential buyer. They work for the potential buyer...not a Realtor or anyone else. The potential buyer should have had an established working relationship with no one "in between". I know it is not always possible, but I always recommend that the client be at the inspection.

Also, something was mentioned about the inspector returning with tools. He might have been doing a wind mitigation report.....but a good inspector would never be doing repairs or fixing anything. That if done would be unethical and against our standards.

Anyway, Again, I do not know anyone involved here. I do not know who the inspector was here and would not want to know. I always try to be helpful here and the thread interested me, so I thought I would try to be helpful and share a few thoughts.

Without seeing the report and speaking to all parties, there are simply facts here we do not know, so I could not make any assumptions about the situation. I hope for all concerned everything works out for all.

Respectfully, Frank D.