View Single Post

Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 PM
Platinum member
Question Nerve ablation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny70 View Post
I recently finished three months of Dr. Appointments which included my Chiropractor (who, after 12 years said he was unable to do anything more to help me and sent me to get a new MRI), to the Neurosurgeon who said to try the Pain management Doctor. Now I've finished having two Epidurals, neither helped me more than 10 days. Of course this took so long because of the long wait to get in to see each Dr. Then two weeks between Epidurals.

Next stop will be Shands or Mayo. Looking for a great doctor who can fix the lower back so I can get on with my life!
You don't indicate what your basic problem is, or whether or not you have had surgery. Did the Neurosurgeon do anything other than analyze?

I had major spinal surgery at Shands, done by the Chief and Assistant Chief of Orthopedic Surgery, both were instructors in the University of Florida Medical School.

I did not come out without continued back pain. I am now considering selective nerve ablation in which a doctor places probes in your back while you are awake, seeking nerves that are carrying pain signals to your brain and then destroying those nerves by radio frequency signals.

The way they test for possible effectiveness of this technique is by first using nerve blocks that work for short periods. Success at this level indicates a potential for long term relief. It sounds like you have had the nerve blocks which demonstrate that nerve ablation would be effective.

If I decide to go through with the nerve ablation I will probably use Florida Orthopedic in Tampa which has extensive experience in this technique.

Steven A. Barna, M.D. | Florida Orthopaedic Institute

You might want to ask your Neurosurgeon for an opinion about nerve ablation for your condition.