View Single Post

Old 10-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Gold member
Default Healthcare is a mess

Quote:
Originally Posted by pam832 View Post
I'm losing my cobra and don't qualify for Medicare for another 3 years! My husband is on Medicare and still working...to pay for my insurance
I spoke to the Multiplan PPO people but a catastrophic event could bankrupt us. Blue Cross was very helpful but the doctors I would like to see don't take Select.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
We were in the same place as you mention. We used COBRA for 18 months and then continued with the same company AETNA for a year till old enough to get on medicare.

Due to a pre-existing medical condition AETNA would not sell us catastrophic insurance the bill for two of us was 18,000. Frankly, our bills were never 18,000 for a year and I wanted to SELF INSURE. Wife insisted that we pay for the insurance.

WOW-I've not been in a hospital over night in 52 years.
Five days in the Villages hospital was billed at just over 50,000. Aetna paid the bill IN FULL for 30,000.

The whole system is NUTS. AETNA pays 30,000. If, you do not take insurance you would pay almost twice as much for the same service-50,000.

We the patients also contribute to the problem and the costs. We are now on medicare. Our cost is less than half of what we paid to AETNA. There is no additional cost to see a doctor so my wife says we have paid for it so go

We are still wrestling with OBAMACARE. The truth is like any other BUSINESS, those who pay pay for the THEFT by those who do not. Care is not denied to anyone. My friend has said he was denied care at a private hospital due to the fact that he has no insurance. TRUTH-he was transferred to a state hospital received open heart surgery.
The surgery saved his life-he never paid for it and he has been collecting social security disability and/or welfare for the past ten years.

I think of him and the others like him when I file my taxes every April. He used to laugh at how hard I worked.