Thread: Car batteries?
View Single Post

Old 10-30-2017, 09:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
While I might think the same, I recall reading that tho get greater CCA they need to make the plates thinner so it becomes more likely to suffer physical damage from vibration etc etc etc.

My battery is 6 years old. It still works but, the headlamps dim at idle. It is time to change it before it lets me down.
IMO yes, any lead acid battery over 5 years old can fail on the first cold morning or hot day and it don't have to 5 years old. You can have it load tested at autozone for free. This will tell you if you have any weak or falling plates.

I can usually tell when my battery getting ready to go bad it spins the starter slower which has different sound. I also get the biggest CCA battery (more plates, more amps, heavier) that will fit in my battery box. I learned costly mistake few years ago when my wife when home 500 miles away on old battery on hot day was working normal, then she stopped for lunch and nothing. Course I was no where near. Said the battery was bad and the alt. Which came in close to $1000 bucks. Funny thing about modern cars the have fault they will tell if the alternate not charging, which she said no warning light came on.

Dimming headlights could be couple things, battery going bad, alt. Regulator failing or winding failing, or idling to low? Again auto zone will check the battery and alt for free, at least they use to

Last edited by Topspinmo; 10-31-2017 at 01:59 PM.