View Single Post

Old 08-15-2008, 06:45 PM
Gold member
Default Re: Update on the train in my back yard in Chatham

[quote=Talk Host ]
I feel like I should cover this part of our saga one more time.

The reason we moved to The Villages is that my wife has Multiple Sclerosis. She had to take a medical retirment from her job and her doctor told her she should find a location with as little stress as possible. Like most of you, we fell in love with the Villages after a visit from our Upstate New York home. We trusted what we were being told by the agent, and that was our mistake. The deal was done from afar.

After we moved in and found out about the train (after one hour), I called our agent, who at first denied that he knew about the train, then called back and said he had told us about it. He then suggested we sell the house and build a new one.

I contacted numerous attorneys. Most of them said that they in some way represent a portion of the Villages operation and could not take our case. Others said that we could not afford to fight the fight.

I sent a letter to Mark Morse and explained the situation and my wifes medical condition. He responded by suggesting, among other things, that we sell the house and move elsewhere.

Many of our neighbors want me to head up the battle about this on their behalf, but I want to retire like everybody else here. I don't want to be the general in charge of the war. Can you imagine what a monsterous challenge that would be. I sent a letter to the famous POA but got no response.

What is most frustrating is that had we known about the train, we would have simply built elsewhere. They would not have lost the sale.

My wife and I have resigned ourselves to the hand that was dealt to us. We all work hard for years to achieve our dream of a carefree retirement, but in our case, we slipped up by trusting when we shouldn't have, and now we are paying the consequenses. We look with envy on the thousands of others who live peacfully in the quiet zones of the Villages, and wish you all the very best in your retirement years. The Villages is a great place to live, and our little part of it will be tarnished for the rest of our lives.

[/quote In addition to the downturn in the economy, have you looked into how much money you would lose if you did sell your home? If, indeed you would lose a substantial amount of money because of the train you were not told about it would seem that you have a case to collect for damages as well as punitive damages for the deceitfulness of the real estate agengy. There are attorneys everywhere. I bet if you continue to look you would find a youn, hungry lawyer whow would work on a contingency and love to take on Goliath. How many neighbors hear the same train like you do?]