View Single Post

Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 AM
Gold member
Default For my advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
Thanks for the replies. I’ve been planting grass up north for almost 40 years now. The type of weather we’ve been having here, cool nights and warm (in the 70’s days) would be perfect grass growing weather up north. And the seed I’ve always bought is a mixture of three or four different types. But I guess I’ve got a bit of learning to do in The Villages. Never too old to learn.
These threads often get to my grass can take your grass.

The best line I ever heard at one of the many plant lectures I've attended is if you are from up north, forget everything you think you know about plant care.

From your post, if you are on the northern section of the Villages you have St Augustine. In the south sections you will have Empire Zoyzia. As to seeding-the zoysia does not produce a viable seed-you have no choice but to buy sod.
The saint augustine seed that you can buy is not the same variety that you have so again yu must buy sod.

CONFESSION-we have empire zoysia-AND MY GRASS CAN TAKE YOUR GRASS-CAN'T HELP IT.

Back to the real world-each type has pluses and minuses. The zoyzia has a far finer texture than the st augustine. The zoysia is,"supposed," to need less water. Except if your read the fine print. If, there is a water shortage, the zoysia will turn brown before the st augustime. However the zoysia has the ability to go dormant and come back.
The st augustine if it goes brown it is not dormant it is dead. As to weed killers. The empire zoysia is more tolerant of common weed killers than the st augustine.

HINT-I've seen many posts that I have a zoysia law and my gardener has dropped st augustine into it. If you read the insurrections on any of the common 24D weed killers it says do not use at temperatures over 80 degrees. You mix it up strong (1 tbs to the qt) and spot treat on a hot day.
It will kill the st augustine but not the zoysia. At that strength is will damage the zoysia but not kill it-do not do it regularly.

Last edited by autumnspring; 11-22-2017 at 09:42 AM. Reason: spelling