Thread: alexa
View Single Post

Old 11-24-2017, 05:20 PM
Platinum member
Thumbs down No Privacy with Alexa

I bought the Alexa technology to remotely control the light switches to my outdoor floodlights, both front and rear, for security purposes. (You have to purchase specialized switches to do this.) Being in a wheelchair, I wanted to be able to quickly turn on the lights by voice command.

I have since availed myself of other conveniences of Alexa, especially local weather information and forecasts; playing of musical selections, and use as an alarm clock.

However, it is apparent that Alexa is always on and listening. This is especially apparent when it responds to something that it hears on the television set.

If you are one of those who believes that you must speak the "alerting word" (Alexa or Echo) to activate the unit (or press the microphone button on Tap), or that you can "erase" everything that has been stored, then I consider you a good candidate for the purchase of the Brooklyn Bridge or Solid Gold Bricks.

It is like using a Smart Phone; the more convenience you seek, the more privacy you voluntarily surrender. It is your choice.