View Single Post

Old 01-02-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickleball119 View Post
Seems like a decent idea to me and the idea has been floating around for quite a while ( I think Bernie Sanders talked about it ).
Would like to start a discussion on this forum regarding that subject.
To my knowledge, many countries have it and it works.
Yes--I have heard horror stories about it and have heard it is NOT working in Canada. BUT--I have talked with Canadian citizens that are happy with it.
Seems to me like it would work a lot like medicare--and I don't have a problem with that.
Yes--it would be a "government run" program and I have heard the complaint calling it by that "bad name" of socialized medicine. I'm not sure socialized medicine is such a bad thing.
One thing I do know is that EVERY citizen SHOULD be covered by good health insurance.
My guess is I am going to hear from a lot of people
with different opinions--but it should be a learning experience for all of us.
I was recently told by a retired doctor that, in his opinion, it "is the way to go".
Your thoughts?

Around August 31 or early September 2016, the Vancouver Newspaper had a rather long feature article discussing the problem with the Canadian system. The issue was that the Canadian system morphed into a two-tiered system. Citizens who could afford it, purchased private health insurance, in essence allowing for Doctors in Canada that would take their private insurance granting them priority access to medical services. Some purchased health care insurance that would allow them the option to come to the USA for their medical care. This left the Canadian citizen who couldn't afford private insurance with long waits for what we take for granted (if we have health insurance or Medicaid. Not sure about Medicare just yet.). Years before (about 2000-03), I worked with a Toronto family whose child had a significant disability, but had purchased private insurance that they would utilize in Detroit.
Additionally, a family (I worked with the wife) was transferred to Calgary, but found the health care system so bad, that the wife refused to stay unless the company provided USA insurance that they could cross the border to get their family's medical care in Montana. Not saying either way about how that could be better implemented in the USA, but trying to illustrate that the Canadian system works for some and not for others. Nice to hear that you know people who it works for!