View Single Post

Old 01-17-2018, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
Just the report of snow in ATL is enough to shut the city down. I drove all over the place picking up staff because they don’t know how to drive it in. I-75 was a parking lot full of thousands of abandoned cars and trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yep, just because you may know how to drive in snow there are many that do not. If I lived in the Atlanta area and there was but the threat of snow I would stay home. What was it that closed Atlanta a few years back, 1 inch? I lived up North in the Blizzard or "78" and drove to work. Of course I turned around and went right back home. 3 days later I was still home.

Being prepared for a disaster is a wise move. We live in a much more fragile community then we may think. There are more things that can go wrong then just a storm. Today there are threats every where, from Nature, and our fellow man. Having a backup plan is not a bad idea. You may find you can't leave. Other may have little choice but to stay. Fortunately here in Florida our biggest threat is a Hurricane. Lots of warning to the coming of disaster. Just a bit farther North, you've got Tornadoes. Little warning there. 5 days of food and water in the pantry is not a bad idea. Backup generator to power some essentials is not that expensive. If you think that local government has your back you are going be very disappointed. Also you need to have a little common sense. If they are predicting the Hurricane as a Cat 5 and probably going directly over your head, if you can, get out and hide out of the way. Get out early unless you care to be in the I-75 Parking Lot. Personally, I can replace things, I can't replace the people I love.