View Single Post

Old 01-20-2018, 05:54 PM
Sage

I think the cart driver overreacted, coffeebean, but you may have a slight misconception of the gates and their purpose. While I do think they provide some security for TV, they are there predominantly for traffic calming...to keep traffic from speeding by without any concern at all for crossing golf carts. But the gates are not intended to make the driver of an automobile stop to allow a golf cart to cross. The car still has the right-of-way and should proceed safely through the gate even if carts are waiting.

Personally, I think there are those times when it might be good to let a cart go. An example might be if there are golf carts waiting at a crossing and there are car delays ahead of the gate so there is no place for a car to go immediately if it does proceed through the gate. Why not let a cart or two go until the congestion clears up. But I also do think those times are sort of rare. As a general rule, cars should proceed on through the gate and let the crossing golf carts take their gap when it comes.

Cars have the right-of-way. Golf carts have a stop sign. If everybody obeys the rules and drives with caution and consideration, the system works very well.