View Single Post

Old 01-31-2018, 11:37 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

VT, I do not think the RMD itself can be converted to Roth, but after the RMD is taken, additional IRA funds may be converted to Roth — of course the additional amount would be taxable income, too. But at least some of the money from the RMD might go toward paying the taxes on the Roth conversion if you choose to follow up with one.

As someone mentioned earlier in this thread, the RMD as a QCD (Qualified Charitable Contribution) is a way to avoid paying income tax on the RMD.

The QCD, of course, means giving away money, but it can be worth looking into. (Options include giving more money to the government or giving it to a qualified charity.)

The RMD as a QCD has to be done exactly according to the rules. Careful records must be kept, showing the money went from the IRA directly to the charity. Also, donor-advised funds do not qualify.

For those who donate to charity anyway, the QCD might be a better way to do that (instead of itemizing the contribution) when it comes to the RMD and tax time. If the intention is to do a Roth conversion with additional IRA funds after the RMD is taken, that obviously can mean even more taxes so a QCD might help to keep those taxes down and also could be a way to keep the AGI from crossing the threshold that increases the cost of Medicare that is deducted from SS each month.

You have brought up an interesting question. I am just trying to give you a few things to learn more about. Like you said, VT, you will be getting professional advice. Please keep in mind that I am not a tax accountant or financial advisor or any such thing so I might not even know anything about what I just wrote in this post.

PS: I am not sure about this either but I think the new tax law took away the ability to recharacterize a Roth conversion.

Last edited by Boomer; 02-01-2018 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Typo