View Single Post

Old 02-01-2018, 10:58 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Good morning, VT,

I saw your response to the last part of my post #21, but my follow-up here is in reference to the first part of that post where I said I thought the RMD could not be converted to Roth -- though additional IRA funds may be.

It looks like I was right according to the following link from a Q&A on Marketwatch.

(And, hey, the guy in the picture has to be right because he has a blackboard and is pointing with a ruler so I think we better pay attention to him. I am just a woman sitting here typing, waiting for my laundry to finish.) Here's the guy:

Can I convert my RMD to a Roth IRA? - MarketWatch

Btw, the link to Vanguard, provided by Champion6 in post #7, has excellent overall information. Thanks, champion6. I have spent a little time pointing and clicking around in your link and learned a few things. Vanguard sure does present info in a clear manner.

Also, adding to the discussion, petsetc, post #24, wrote about converting along the way in years when it is practical tax-wise to do so -- thus reducing the amount of the RMD required annually after 70 and 1/2.

I am glad you started this discussion, VT. I like to learn things about taxes. (Weird. I know.)

Last edited by Boomer; 02-01-2018 at 11:08 AM.