Thread: Car batteries?
View Single Post

Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM
Gold member
Default My experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Corrosion at the battery terminals can cause low voltage, which may have been your problem? Did autozone load test the battery and test the charging system? I guess it failed load test why you got new one? Did they say anything about charging system?

Usually batteries will last 5 years or more. IMO I would of had the charging system check if the didn't do it? If If it's over charging it will cause the problems you described above, corrosion, battery failure, and excessive acid boil overs (which probably cause the battery to fail hold charge due to low water).
I agree with what you've said that the average life of a car battery is about 5 years. Today, your car is controlled by several computers and they are very sensitive to voltage drops. My previous car ???? 5-6 years old just stopped-no warning. I with help from a good Samaritan pushed it to the side of the road.

I just had my battery replaced in my current car. It was still starting the car fine. I did notice that at idle the headlights were dim. THE ORIGINAL BATTERY WAS EIGHT YEARS OLD SO I TREATED THE CAR TO A NEW BATTERY.

By the way, the battery is under a plastic cover. The old battery looked like new. The new battery has solved the minor headlight dimming at idle.