Thread: Car batteries?
View Single Post

Old 02-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,900 Times in 2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by suesiegel View Post
I agree with what you've said that the average life of a car battery is about 5 years. Today, your car is controlled by several computers and they are very sensitive to voltage drops. My previous car ???? 5-6 years old just stopped-no warning. I with help from a good Samaritan pushed it to the side of the road

I just had my battery replaced in my current car. It was still starting the car fine. I did notice that at idle the headlights were dim. THE ORIGINAL BATTERY WAS EIGHT YEARS OLD SO I TREATED THE CAR TO A NEW BATTERY.

By the way, the battery is under a plastic cover. The old battery looked like new. The new battery has solved the minor headlight dimming at idle.

I agree, low end lead acid batteries are less weight which means less plates and lead why there cheaper. When I had more than one vehicle I would get more out of batteries. Now only have one, so when I get 4 years or so one one I listen for the signs of battery fatigue. Usually it will wind the starter little slow creating different sound, I replace it cause it will probably fail at inconvenient time. I check cables for corrosion every time change the oil, any signs I clean then. Can't beat Walmart for batteries or tires IMO. I trust the guys at sourthern trace, they always done good job for me. Trust but verify. Beings I was aircraft engine mechanic for 40 some years I can detect sloppy work in heart beat. In my field there was a ZERO tolerance for even minor errors.