View Single Post

Old 02-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
I'm the OP. Fascinating how the ToTV folks here took part in a lively discussion - with few antagonistic offshoots to politics or flogging others. A few more of my thoughts after post #1.

1. I am completely sick re these latest events. Personally enough is enough and SOMETHING substantial (whatever can help) MUST be done. These events simply should not continue on in this country. They will NEVER be eradicated, but that should not stop sane caring people to come together and put forth changes.

2. The horses ARE out of the barn, but this continual supply of easily available heavy armament and ammo can be making matters worse. Gun control will never be passed but some type of civil enforcement should be attained. Not a gun owner, but I have always said that if we lived in Orlando or such, I would be... RE gun control - remember the 'bump stock' from Vegas shooter... what happened in DC on that? zip.

3. Imagine if gun control was tightened and limited. A crazed person could simply run a truck down the sidewalk near a school and wipe out 20 kids as well. Or a box cutter at school - carnage too. Crazed will tend to adjust the weapons of choice.

4. Mental issues - a tough nut to crack. What level is enough to hold and question or put away. Is a voiced threat enough? Something must be done to ID the potential crazed, but laws get in the way.

5. Say something... yep. Need a very effective process by law agencies to address this. Admin and funding will be roadblocks.

6. Armed guards at schools, ID cards etc. Nothing will ever be perfect, or even close - but we must have impediments in place.

7. Social media and extreme gaming. The way our society is going this will be a tough nut to crack. No easy answers.

Since 2001 we have done a pretty OK job airport security-wise in the US - but we have been mighty lucky as well. We need international experts (like from Israel) to assess and assist. Anything we do in the country to bolster school security etc will cost bundles of $$$. With all our other budget issues, will our determination stick?

But I do like hearing that THIS school shooting may be the tipping point and pressures on our leaders/lawmakers will be strong.
I would like to think the school shooting in Parkland is the tipping point, but I don't know. If the 27 students and teachers murdered at Sandy Hook Elementary School in 2012 couldn't spur action, will this be able to?

As I told one of my coworkers who moved to the US a few years ago, it wasn't always this way in the schools in this country. When I was in elementary and high school in the 1960's-1970's, fearing that one of your classmates would shoot up the school was not even thought of.

Unfortunately, I think it's not a matter of if a similar situation at a school will occur again, but when and where, and that really saddens me.