View Single Post

Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Tango View Post
We recently bought in Fenney and we're planning to have our Triumph Bonneville with sidecar shipped down from PA.

I'm wondering if any motorcyclists have trouble getting the gates to the villages to go up?

Does every entry gate have a red button to push for visitors? If so, this might be a better option than strapping my gate pass around my neck.

On exit do the gates go up by weight of the vehicle, or do they use a sight sensor? A Harley or Goldwing might make a gate go up by weight but I'm not sure my rig is heavy enough. I have trouble getting street lights to switch at intersections because my rig isn't heavy enough.

So I'm looking for some guidance. What do motorcyclists do if the gates don't go up when you approach them?
Weight has nothing to do with the opening and closing of the gates. Generally there are either photo sensors sensing a vehicle is there or an inductive loop laid in the asphalt, or a combination of both. An inductive loop is simply a coil of wire embedded in the road's surface. To install the loop, they lay the asphalt and then come back and cut a groove in the asphalt with a saw. A wire is placed in the groove and sealed with a rubbery compound. A current passes though the wire causing an inductance. When the iron of a vehicle nears the loop, the inductance changes and triggers the system to either open or close the gate or traffic control device.