View Single Post

Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 PM
Default Re: That Sinking Feeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Villager
I believe Florida is known for having sinkholes and yes Florida requires insurance companies to provide coverage for them. My policy reads sinkhole loss meaning structrual damage to the building, including the foundation caused by sinkhole activity. Contents coverage shall apply only if there is structural damage to the building caused by sinkhole activity. I'm not sure if it would cover landscaping but I wouldn't think so. Before we purchased I found a government geological website and thought buying in Sumter County was better for sinkholes. Guess what, three homes within a few blocks of ours have had sinkholes form under them. We witnessed truck after truck for days bringing in cement to put under the homes. There are engineers that specialize in this type of problem but hopefully we will never have to deal with one of them.
I believe the insurance issue has changed this year. We have Travelers and renewal is Sept 1. We got a letter from them that sink hole coverage is no longer part of the standard policy and is now an add on at our option. It cost about 10% more and carries a 10% deductable.

We went with the option of getting it.

jeffy