View Single Post

Old 03-27-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I wonder what you mean by a legit number. Do you mean it comes through ID as someone you know and whose number you wouldn't want to block?

Otherwise... I was getting robo calls from Michigan (My cell has MI area code) every day, many times a day. My friend told me about the app "hiya" for cell phones. I installed the app. When a call comes that is ID'd by hiya as robo (or even if it isn't but I want to block the number), the app gives me the option to block.

What I found is that the robo callers simply changed telephone numbers once they were blocked. But I kept blocking and blocking, and the calls have all stopped.

You don't have to be with the cell phone to block a phone number. You can open the hiya app at any time, and it will list the calls you have received. Then you can block any of them that you want.
Virtually All the calls I get are from actual peoples numbers randomly chosen (spoofed) by whoever the spammer is so it will never get "flagged" by any APP. I have even received calls from MYSELF.

My cell starts with 908-377-xxxx and my wife 908-451-xxxx. 95% of the calls come from those exchanges (happens to all be Verizon Mobile numbers). My wife got about 15 calls 2 weeks ago from people who were called by HER angry at her.

There is ZERO way to stop those calls since they are all "real" "legit" numbers.

As for blocking ... any phone service allows blocking. On an iPhone just tag it as blocked in recent calls, no app needed. But it still makes no difference as rarely does the same number call twice. We both have about 500 blocked numbers in each of our phones over the years but rarely does the same number call.

The apps like NOMOROBO are good for spam calls that always use the same number for multiple calls, for our circumstance they are useless. Blocking them (although we do) is a waste of time for the reasons above for us. YMMV.