View Single Post

Old 03-28-2018, 08:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennBF View Post
When I was in school my parents took in children that were in need. They did not charge anyone for their care but instead we were told (there were 4 of us kids) that we were to treat them as our family. We had as many as 3 kids at a time and some sent us birthday cards and Christmas cards signed as your brother. My parents were successful in getting a number of them into "Boys Town" which was a terrific place as they sent two reps to pick them up but first they took them to the best clothing stores in town, completely outfitted them as no child went into Boys Town with their head hung low. My point is that maybe some would want to think of the many homeless children and their needs when spending loads of money on a pet. It doesn't mean to not have a pet but to maybe help those in desperate need and keep things in balance in life. We never had a disappointment with all of the children.
That is a beautiful thing to share. I remember my aunts talking about our grandparents "taking in" friends from school sometimes for quite long stays. I imagine it was a good person's good works before we had social workers and welfare.

I think I understand your point about pets. People often dress their children in expensive clothes and don't spend TIME with them. Our values are very individual. Some people quietly do kind and wonderful things and keep making this old world a better place. Your heart is good Penn. A pleasure to know you on this forum.