View Single Post

Old 04-03-2018, 10:55 AM

You will not likely need to rent for a year before deciding one way or the other. Your husband will either love it almost immediately, or decide it's a nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. If you have never even visited, you are basing a lot on the word of someone else. I often see and hear that TV "is not for everyone". For people who love it, it's hard to imagine why everyone would not love it. My parents moved to TV 6 or 7 years ago and we have visited many times and fell in love with the place from the first visit. Now we are at a point where we can make a move and that's where we are headed (in less than 2 weeks). To this day, I have a hard time describing the place, sufficiently, to people who have never been there. It's truly somewhere you have to physically see and experience to get the true picture of it, good or bad. I would definitely recommend renting first if you are fairly sure it's where you want to go. I have never done it but I think the Lifestyle visit program is a great, economical, no pressure, way to get a good flavor of TV, but is not long enough for most to really decide if it's where they want to be full time. Many come on the Lifestyle visit and commit to buying property before they leave. But it doesn't really give you enough time to take everything into consideration and make the best decision for yourself, in my opinion. Rent is super reasonable in the summer months. And if you can stand the summer heat and afternoon storms, then you can stand anything else weather related. We are renting for at least 2.5 months while we search for homes. It's not unusual, and in some cases it's even required, to contract to buy a home and close on it in 30 days. If you can't make up your mind or find something in that amount of time, it's usually fairly easy to extend your rental or find another one during the summer months. Finding places and renting them in the winter months is an entirely different story. For the place I'm renting starting this month, the rent for the same place in Jan - March is over triple per month what I'm paying for this time of year.