Thread: Lanai Headers
View Single Post

Old 04-06-2018, 02:19 PM

Thanks to all for the insight. I completed my task of drilling into the header. Thought I would pass on what I found. The house was built in 2008. The header consisted of a thin skim of stucco, followed by the 1/8" steel as VillageTinker stated, and then concrete. Used the masonry bit for the skim coat. A cobalt bit for the beam. And then back to the masonry bit. I then used Ace's version of Tapcon screws (Procon) to secure the clips.

The education for me was with the steel. As VillageTinker and Bill32 stated, I used 4 bits on the 5 holes. It would only take 5 seconds or so to get through the 1/8" steel, but the bit was essentially shot after each hole. I used a single masonry bit for the entire project (20 holes), but I used 4 cobalt bits to drill the five holes in the steel. I used both Dewalt and Milwaukee bits and they performed equally. I tried my best to not go into the concrete so I would not dull the bit...not that it seemed to matter.

FYI - The adhesive failed. That was my first inclination for a 'simple' solution, but I could not get a firm hold on the track to allow for the adhesive to set.