View Single Post

Old 04-19-2018, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,965 Times in 2,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Just listened to passenger report who stated that dead passenger actually had her seat belt fastened.
Must of been right beside the hole. If sucked her out of her set belt not good and horrrific all took place in about 3/4 s of second. Usually when fan section (front of the engine) explodes it's fan disk failure. Unless the highbypass blade broke off at the root? usually don't have enough force to blow front of the engine off. May penetrate the case and air frame. Rarely does it penetrate the cabin. When disk fails it shoots fan blades in all directions, but it the two halves of the heavy disk that does horrific damage.

I seen several highpass engines with several fan blades missing from bird strikes and not penetrate cases, they didn't brake off at the root (bottom) though, which carries more momentum/weight. I'm 6 foot tall and can stand up in intake of larger fan engines, CFM 56 is smaller fan engine compared to CF6s.

I flown this SW flight route couple times. Each time aircraft takes off and lands, does touch and go it cycle. Some manufacturer engines have cycle limits on critical rotating parts. This is another safety feature built in, which means after so many thousands of cycles the part could fail. Some parts require NDI (X-ray) every so many hours to try find small facture zones that could cause the part to fail. There lot that goes into making planes safe.