View Single Post

Old 04-27-2018, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,313 Times in 826 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Dear Rusty,
I understand and agree with your point of view. If I owned a home in The Villages I would also be very interested in this issue and how it was handled. My primary intent on my last post was to point out that in Gracies home it was not a gas water heater. Some folks are confused, as there IS gas in the northern part of The Villages, and now again in Fenney.

I think that The Villages is a one of a kind amazing place. The views of the golf courses, etc are stunning. The Rec centers are amazing.

I think The Villages builds a good house and are for the most part quite responsive to their clients needs and wants. They are built "to code". They also are built quickly and are more of a production home than a one of a kind custom home. There is nothing wrong with that at all.

That being said, the fact that we do over 500 warranty inspections a year in The Villages proves that folks feel that it is a benefit they are gladly willing to pay us for. Our business would not last very long if everyday folks paid us just to tell them, "Nothing found, everything is perfect". Thankfully for us, that is never the case.

No home, even a new one, is perfect. Folks that hire us most always find that if they had to pay for the issues we find under warranty, the cost would far exceed the cost of the inspection. It is why I presume we stay so busy.

I hope this does not sound like an Ad for our services....I do not intend to make it sound like that. I think we all agree that Gracie is one of The Villages best cheerleaders...a very sweet and caring person.

That being said, I think that you and I have an accurate perception of the building industry in regards to quality/cost, etc.

The Villages builds a good home, in record time, with an amazing huge machine. Most of their buyers are very satisfied, and have reason to feel that way. Because people are human, mistakes can and are sometimes made. It's our job to find them, and we do. I like many of the things The Villages are doing with the new homes. There are a few things I would do differently, but that is just me.

Up north, I custom designed and built my own home. It took me years. The "fit and finish" was perfect. The solid oak trim was hand coped....a skill that is no pretty much non-existant. No caulk was used. Craftsmanship was evident everywhere. My home here in Florida is not that home.

Thank you Rusty for the kind words. I really do like to help here when I can, and that is always my intent. Have a wonderful weekend!

Frank
Thanks for the understanding. I truly respect your opinions and knowledge. It is obvious to me you have many years of experience in this field. I would not hesitate for a New York minute to hire you for an inspection. I too have built / major remodeled several houses up north in an area with an average snowfall of over 200 inches / year. That brings in a whole new class of structural design challenges and codes. Try meeting 90 lb snow loads per sq ft and R values through the roof without screwing up moisture condensation problems. There is still new schools of thought on these problems yet today. For the record just because I said our homes here "meet code" is not a negative. I believe the state of Florida has been very proactive in this area and has very good codes as compared to many other areas of the country.

Last edited by rustyp; 04-27-2018 at 06:26 PM.