View Single Post

Old 05-02-2018, 06:15 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

Many years ago I was asked to help get info with an issue of rat sightings. I called Property Management and this is what I shared with others from the information I received:

(And by the way, the bigger problem ceased when people knew what to do but there ARE rats all over The Villages and always have been and always will be. It is a control issue, not an eradication issue. You cannot have a rat free environment here.)

First, there is nothing The Villages can do because they do not go into private yards and they do not spray or put out poisons.

Second, your neighborhood is not the first to have this problem. It happens periodically.

Third, while there has been a lot of rain, it is doubtful this is the reason the rats are coming out. However, if they are being driven out of their habitat because of rain, you could see more of them.

Fourth, this is a problem you must each deal with individually.

Fifth, this is less a problem for people living on the water than those in the interior because the rats like to climb the walls and there is more landscaping between the houses in the interior.

Sixth, if as a neighborhood you do not do the following, the infestation is going to grow rapidly because as I learned after talking to the District Supervisor for Property Management, the first love of rats is a food source and the second is breeding.

Seventh, if you do not get the rats under control, there will be an infestation of snakes seeking out the rats, and other critters as well going after the rats.

Eighth, you need to work as a neighborhood to deal with this, even if you do not today have this problem.

So, this is what I have been told.

#1. GET RID OF ALL BIRD FEEDERS. Food source is the number one issue. You can get one of those NO DROP trays for the birds where you pick up what they have not eaten, but at this time it would be prudent to put your bird feeders away until this problem is addressed and then get a NO DROP tray for the feeders.

#2. Put your garbage out the morning of garbage day.

#3. If you are having a rat problem, call your pest control today and get them to put rat bait boxes out-I ordered more today and we do not have a problem (yet). You must get your pest control company to help deal with this if you are seeing these rats.

#4. Is your neighbor away? Look in their yard and make sure they have not left bird feed out or any food sources. I am sure they would appreciate that knowing they may be a source for attracting rodents.

#5. Keep the poop in your yards cleaned up from your animals. Poop has unprocessed food sometimes in it, if your pet eats like a pig. Clean daily all feces.

#6. Keep your screen doors closed so they do not come in the house.

You must be proactive on your own property and you must be considerate to your neighbors around the food source issue. The Supervisor was adamant with me this is why the rats appear from time to time in different communities. If there is no food source they will go away.