View Single Post

Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
Having traveled all over the world, I only know of one place where a gun ban works. Singapore. And that is because if you are caught with a gun, or drugs, or committing a violent crime you are tried and executed within a few days. So couple that with a gun ban and maybe I could support it.

Most other places with less harsh punishment, gun bans have failed miserably. And none of that will solve the problem of crazies who want to kill someone. They will use a knife, a bomb, a car, something else
Try Australia, Denmark, Sweden for a start.

I think Oz may actually have a similar culture to ours regarding the wild, Wild West attitude and adulation (why I don’t think gun laws would work here) but they’ve managed to ban guns except for farmers. Their last mass killing by gun was a murder-suicide on a farm this year. There have been a few stranger killings between 1996 and today (a car plowed into a crowd, a university shooting and a hostage situation — all I can remember at the top of my head). John Howard, the PM in 1996, flat out said he didn’t want Australia following in America’s footsteps. So, not a perfect record but a heck of a lot better than ours. Their children are not being murdered on a regular basis.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein