View Single Post

Old 05-25-2018, 01:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikearoni View Post
e

Very well stated. it is quite ironic that people don't get that thousands upon thousands of American soldiers have given up their lives in order to protect our right to freedom of expression. That right can take many forms and includes not singing the National Anthem. I may not agree with what you are saying, but you have the right to say it, express it, and/or peacefully protest. Others have the right to tune it out by shutting off the tv or changing the channel.
I do not agree with your opinion on this matter. I respect the American soldiers who have given up their lives to protect all of our freedoms, but to me it is an entirely different matter to not stand for the flag. It is a slap and a tarnish against a traditional way to show patriotism and respect for our country and has nothing at all to do with police officers and race. One has nothing to do with the other. How we honor the flag is a tradition. How police officers handle racial issues is a social and legal and ethical issue.

I feel that police officers are targeted unfairly and frequently ambushed and killed but I would not protest this by not saluting the flag. I wouldn't blame our country for it. I see it as a societal issue. I see it as a decision made by a human to harm. A choice.