Thread: The Indy 500
View Single Post

Old 05-27-2018, 12:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Thumbs up The Indy 500

While I lost interest in domestic open-wheel racing when the USAC & CART had their big fight (and even after kissing & making up and becoming IRL)...the Indy 500 has always been a must see for me.

I think that probably goes back to one of my best memories with my Dad.

In 1961, at 5 years old, I AND my Dad ended up having the mumps (measles? I can't recall)...at the same time!

So we both laid in bed, listening on the radio to A.J. Foyt... win his first of four (tied for all-time wins) Indianapolis 500's.

And while I like watching NASCAR occasionally, a lot of casual observers don't realize how much more dangerous 'open-wheel'/'open-cockpit' racing can be...compared to series like NASCAR.

I also used to be a huge fan of F-1, the worldwide premier open-wheel racing series, but for years now there's isn't a lot of competition in it...and it's now kinda boring.

In today's race, I'm rooting for either Helio to win his fourth and join the immortal's Foyt/Al Unser Sr./Mears...or for Danica to win her first (and last?).

Regardless, I think the race will once again live up to its billing as... 'The Greatest Spectacle In Racing.'

Rankings of world's most popular sports.

25 World's Most Popular Sports (Ranked by 13 factors)