View Single Post

Old 09-04-2008, 03:34 AM
Default Re: What was your profession prior to retirement? This is really interesting.

MelZ - we're still in Tucson. We're planning on coming in January if our house here doesn't sell, but earlier if it does. You'll probably be there before us.

Muncle - I operated the 360-65, but we didn't have anything automated hanging off of it, which was probably a good thing. Automated things in the late '70s required many labor intensive hours.

Speaking of labor intensive, does anyone remember the 3850 Mass Storage system? I was in Data Management when it was installed and our job was to fix the data related problems that came up. I remember middle-of -the-night calls after the CE extracted the cartridge and there it would be in all its glory, sitting on the manager's desk with its tape hanging out all mangled. We had special home-made tools to take it apart. I'd iron the tape (with an actual iron), cut the top to shape and hope the Mass Storage unit would buy it. If not, there was much more to do and I won't go into it. Oh, how I miss those days :'(