View Single Post

Old 05-28-2018, 03:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Just a few comments if I may...

1. I do not like the kneeling for the anthem, but I get it and understand it. When the Tea Party was disrespecting the flag, I made it my business to understand actually burying and burning the flag or flying it upside down

2. No conversations on the WHY of the reason for the kneeling, which is amazing.

3. Those who call this "political" have a good point. That was the intent from the get go, not by the players by the way and that has succeeded.

4. I attach a link which allows the story of the time when during the Vietnam when NINE MILLION saw active duty and nobody ever said "thank you for your service", but now with less than 2 percent serving we have this.

While people were demonstrating in the streets the NFL stepped up efforts for the country "Pete Rozelle, inaugurated the Super Bowl in 1967, and with it launched “a conscious effort on our part to bring the element of patriotism” into the game, as he put it. The flyover and “salute to America” was born". There was a dark side and it is covered. Point is we seem to have short and convenient memories, and yes.....it is because of politics. We were told early on that social unrest was the core.

The roots of the NFL’s national anthem controversy stretch to the 1960s and Vietnam - The Washington Post

We just never seem to learn. In my opinion, the flag is being used, but not by the players.

It is sad to have these discussions on Memorial Day frankly. No discussions of WHAT people died for....WHAT protests are about....WHAT the flag really stands for...itis just sad to me.

YEP!