View Single Post

Old 06-08-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missypie View Post
Can someone please give me me a step by step instructions on how to get rid of cable and get these streaming apps. I am not savvy smart in this area at all.

Thank you so much
1. Find out if you have a contract and when it is up with your current cable/dish provider. There is often a charge for breaking your contract early so you want to know this before you start.
2. All of the services that stream require internet, so if your internet was bundled with TV....find out the new charge and compare to other internet only prices available to you from competitors.
3. You need either a smart TV or a streaming player (Roku, Amazon fire stick, etc.) If you are in the market for a new TV then buy one that is a "smart TV" which really means it is able to connect to the internet (it has a microprocessor and WiFi ability) If you like your current TV, then buy a Roku or Fire Stick to add the streaming) They plug into the TV through either the HDMI port or the USB port (older TV's might not have these so check if yours does). (If your TV is 4K, buy the Roku or Fire Stick that is also 4K) You can have some of each in the same house (I have one smart TV, a Roku in another room and a Fire Stick in another....they are all good.)
Now for the monthly $$$: Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, YoutubeTV, Direct TVnow, Sling are all streaming services that you pay for individually so you can order what fits. You don't need them all. I would suggest starting with YoutubeTV for about $35 a month. You might already have Amazon Prime if you use it for the free shipping from Amazon.
That's the basic nuts and bolts. I hope it helps.