Thread: Straws!
View Single Post

Old 06-09-2018, 06:47 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Not quite straw-related, but...

About 20 years ago (during a period of countless air miles), I was on a SWA flight...going....somewhere. Time for beverage service and I asked for my usual Diet Coke.

The middle-aged Flight Attendant came back with the tray of filled plastic cups. I noticed that her routine for serving was to place one of those small napkins centered directly on the rim-then she would "claw" the drink from the top, only touching the napkin, and pass it over. I noticed that she did that each time.

Later on I spoke with her. She said "that's how I was trained". I wrote to the President of SWA complimenting her by name and recommended that this be a Standard in flight service. Got a boiler-plate letter back.

Imagine the bacteria and germs that could be transmitted by a busy FA hands over the flight time - especially the hand-to-mouth incidental contact during that drink-sip. Among the countless ways to pick up illness 'up there'.